My photo
Opinionated and Persistent - a terrible combination.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Guantanamo Bay.

Omar Kadhr was only fifteen years old when he was taken to the infamous detention center of Guantanamo Bay. He’s the only Canadian held there as a terrorist, and there has been some controversy over the last two years as to what he is. Should he be charged as a terrorist and possibly die? Or should he be regarded as a child soldier and simply be set free? There are multiple positions to take on this and I really don’t know what should be done about him – especially now that Obama is going through the motions of closing Guantanamo Bay Prison down. This creates an even larger issue – where will ALL of the prisoners go?

In this world where most people only want to know about the latest iPod or what Britney Spears will do next, there are few people below the age of twenty who will even have an opinion on the matter. I, for one, have no idea where these mostly innocent and displaced prisoners can go.

Did Obama do the right thing by closing the prison? I think he did but I am sure there is going to be a big issue with relocating the prisoners. The innocent will undoubtedly be bitter and resentful towards the U.S. who allowed their torture for so long and that opens up the possibility of a whole lot of radical action towards them

Over all, I am not well versed in this at all – I only see what’s on the news and sometimes I don’t get a chance to watch. This blog is my vow to stay better informed and try to blog about something significant at least once a week.

I guess this is all for now, I hope you enjoy, and feel free to suggest topics that would amuse you.

-Kirsten

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was 15 once, two years ago actually. And at the age of 15 I was able to make a choice. When mr Kahdr made the choice of grabbing that ak-47 he was making a choice of becoming a terrorist. I think he should be judged as though he was a terrorist and not a child soldier. I was able to make choices when I was 15. He was too. I say let the Afghan justice system deal with the terrorists. The ones from Iraq can be dealt with by the people of Iraq.
Nicely formulated article though! unlike mine which lacks both structure and content.

Kirsten said...

Kahdr was caught being taught how to plant land mines. He was doing so to be a "good son" there's a huge ideological problem there and I guess everyone would just have to choose a different point on the spectrum and decide for themselves.
Thanks you very much, sometimes structure (and content, for that matter) is highly overrated.

Anonymous said...

Very good point. Whats can we expect the next to be about?

Kirsten said...

I'm not sure yet,
I'll have to surf the web and see what I want to talk about.